Arriving in Kuching after 2 months in Penang, I couldn't help but notice the tremendous change happening around town. Firstly, the road from the airport leading to the city is undergoing a major upgrading, with flyovers and all. Then there's 2 big (by big, I mean by Kuching standards) shopping malls under construction. One of them, The Spring is just 5 mins walk from my house.
I think I fully made use of my limited time in Kuching. Among the things I remember - Had a reunion dinner with the Thomians Class of 2001 (and some aliens) in BDC on Friday night. I didn't know it was gonna be this big coz I didn't take part in their msn discussions when I was in Penang, but I was surprised by the number that turned up. Around 11 from our class, and that's like, almost half the class of 5Sc1 already! Some people really took a sharp turn in terms of appearance. I was pleasantly surprised by one or two, but also..hehe.. let's just say, surprised, at someone's change in appearance. It was very nostalgic, catching up with one another after 6 years of leaving school. Of course some of us had kept in contact with one another but this is the first time we had such a big gathering with so many attending.
That aside, the reunion dinner with family was all good. The 2nd time in 2 years that all of us kids came back from somewhere.. Next year brother most likely won't be here for cny anymore, so this year mum cooked, I think, 2 years worth of dishes..hahhaa.
Our place was saved from being turned into a warzone at midnite by the slight shower just after 11 o'clock. Nevertheless, the fireworks and firecrackers were nothing short of a spectacle. I burned a couple of firecrackers myself, first time playing since duno how many years. Shortly after the spectacle ended, I went to sleep but was rudely awakened at 2am. My neighbours some houses away from me ordered the lion dance troupe to come at 2am!! wat the... And it was not a very short dance.. it lasted till 3am. wah lao.. damn pissed man.
Ok so the visiting the next day was obligatory. I find that as I grow older, I don't really look forward to visiting as much as I did when I was a kid. Maybe it's the same old nonsense of relatives pretending to know you and are concerned for your well being thing, whereas they only see you once a year. It seems a little too pretentious to me. I don't even get excited receiving ang pows anymore.. more like dreading it because I think I may be getting too old to receive ang pows.. sigh...
The Thomians did our visiting on the 4th day... Had a great time visiting in the day time, the some gambling at mosi's place, as usual - 'the gambling den'.

The rest of the week passed by quickly, and now I'm already back in Melbourne. Took a night flight, bumped in to GPing on the flight too. ehehe... sigh.. another semester awaits..
