Friday, December 29, 2006, 11:03 AM
The year that was
Another year is passing by,
I feel like it was a lullaby,
Gently singing a tune I chose,
How I wish it had a toast..

As the year draws to a close, I look back at the things that happened throughout the year, the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly, the funny and the sad, the happy and the not so happy, the successes and the failures, the adventures and the misadventures, I can indeed say 2006 was a fantastic yet bittersweet year. If I remember, the highlights of the year (in chronological order) were:



January - Working as industrial trainee in Faber Medi-Serve in Kuching. Hanged out a lot with the cool people in Kuching. You know who you are folks. Sorry I couldn’t be there this year, I know I should… Chinese New Year 2006 was a blast with u guys.. hope next year is gonna rawwkkk more!! Haha.. get ready the chivas!!

February- Finished the trainee job and back to Melbourne! Third year a lot harder but enjoying it all the same. Looking back at the late evenings spent in the engineering lab, I can safely say that I am an ‘almost qualified’ engineer now. HAHAHA..hopefully..

OK I think I’m lazy to write in chronological order oredy. HAHAHAHA!! Well, let’s see what are the major things that I remember


July Camp- Indeed a great learning experience organizing the camp, although I helped out in only a small part of it which was designing the bookmarks and T-shirts. Was really swamped with uni work just as the bookmarks and t-shirts deadline were approaching, and was very thankful for a kind soul who volunteered her helping hand. Thanks.. you know who you are… The camp itself was, quote ‘bigger,breezier,better’ unquote. A term I had a part in coming up with. Muahahahha.. Anyways.. I thouroughly enjoyed myself selling bookmarks, scooping rice during the fundraising lunch, making videos during the familiarization trip and of course, I had a blast during the camp, which was quite surprising because I usually don’t enjoy camps and had actually come to a point of dreading it.. up till JULY CAMP 2006 that is.

Melbourne Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony- I almost forgot about this until I looked at my photo albums and saw the pictures! Hahah.. It was a last minute call from a friend to go to Yarra River to catch the opening cerermony.. actually it was quite boring la standing by the river but the experience is exhilarating nonetheless.. fireworks were awesome as well.. sadly I didn’t manage to catch any of the sports except on TV.

Days in the Library- actually I only start going to library to study for exams this year. Given that we have 30 odd assignments each semester, swot vac time is the only time that I can put more effort into studying. First semester I went to ERC most of the time, and in 2nd semester as well, although I must say 2nd semester was crazy becoz I went almost everyday for 3 weeks!! Library almost became my 2nd home oredy.. hahaha.. 2nd semester was funny becoz from a few persons at the start of swot vac, it became like a mini-OCF study session towards the end of the exams, because of many people wanting to join in the ‘fun’. Hahahah…

Gold Coast Winter Trip- A fairly big group of friends and I went to Gold Coast for the winter break. Very nice and unforgettable trip as we went to MovieWorld, DreamWorld, and Surfers Paradise. Also got to meet up with Kuching buddy Mike.. hahaha.. one thing I definitely won’t forget is waking up at 5 in the morning to catch the sunrise in Surfers Paradise.. simply .. priceless…


OCF events- Fishing Trip, Merdeka nite, enite, movies, flare dance, cmg musical, belgrave heights convention, royal Melbourne show, dinner at Melvin’s house, dinner at Auntie Oi Lee’s house, my birthday, Vivienne’s birthday, dot’s birthday, song ai’s birthday, shake’s birthday, omega’s birthday, serene’s birthday, basketball on Sundays, yien ching’s wedding.. all these things lah…

Nites in the Gym- u see, college square (the place I stay in Melbourne) has a gym and being kiasu as I am, I intend to put the facilities to good use. Actually, do u believe all that nonsense? Truthfully speaking, I want to build more muscles!! I love muscles! Yeah, that’s why I go to the gym like 3 times a week. had a lot of fun with gym buddies serene, yanyan, pinghan, and shake (in 1st sem only). Doubt I will be able to maintain the same consistency next year though.. some more I haven’t seen any muscles yet!! Daymmnnnnn…

Uni – of coz wat’s the year without uni. Had a lot of fun with coursemates doing our late nite assignments, projects and ‘personal’ projects. Hahaha.. the engineering projects we had this year was a lot of hard work but in the end a sense of satisfaction descended upon us as we pulled through. Next year, a different ball game, hopefully the ride is just as bumpy and fun…

Industrial Training- most thankful for this, as I thought I screwed the interview, some more I got the acceptance reply quite late, and up to the point I landed here in Penang, I worried so much about it. But it turned out I got a place to stay before I even came here, then on the same day found someone to carpool with to work, got internet connection at home, and a supervisor that’s extremely fantastic! Colleagues are nice, and I like the working culture here which is demanding but exciting. Also very good to get to know other trainees working here. I couldn’t have asked for more. Indeed God has been gracious to me.

Finally, just a simple story to share… A circus trainer thought he knew his tiger quite well. He knew it so deeply that he was convinced that the tiger would not hurt him. But one day, he provoked the tiger a little too much, and the tiger pounced and tore open his heart. He licks his wounds and picks up the pieces, and still could not understand why. How could a trusting friendship turn into one of disdain in a brief moment? Would things ever be the same again? I don’t know the ending of the story. But I wonder, and never stop wondering..

That’s 2006 as I remembered it.. How was your year?
 
posted by Jason
Permalink ¤