It’s the time of the year again where reflections are made on the year that’s passing and resolutions made for the year ahead. So, how has 2008 been for me?
A major part of my year has been spent in Sydney. Indeed moving there at the start of the year to begin my life as a yuppie was a big jump into the unknown. As most might know I hated my boss the very first day I met him. I was quite fortunate though, to be able to be involved in some projects which allowed me to travel. My first business trip was to Melbourne, what an irony huh. For 2 months I stayed in a hotel room and traversed half of Melbourne’s rail lines doing a survey job, which I think really did well for my railway knowledge and experience. The 2nd business trip was to Perth and Northern WA, which some might consider an ‘exotic’ location as I got to see the longest trains in the Southern Hemisphere. The business trips sound nice but it was far from that at work. My boss was a total nightmare to work with. It was so bad that at one point the only motivation I had for work was that paycheck at the end of the month. I do however appreciate the hard gained experience I got from the job. In early September I took the courage to start applying for new jobs with the little experience I have. I remember the 2 months after that, I was so depressed because of work and relationship issues. It was indeed the lowest point of the year for me. At that time I was so depressed, but I had no one to talk to. I was pulling all stops to get a job in Melbourne but all that was looking up was Sydney and Brisbane jobs. Just as hopes seem to have faded, in late October I secured a job in Melbourne, much to my joy. Suddenly I saw why God had allowed the previous rejections to happen to me. This was indeed the dream job I was hoping for, but I didn’t put much hope in it due to lack of confidence in myself. Indeed God is gracious. And so I quit the job in Sydney and have moved back to Melbourne to start my newly found job early next year.
So apart from work, how was life like? I suppose for the better part of the year I was feeling a tad lonely in Sydney with so little friends there. Also, I lived in a suburb far from the city in Sydney, something which I’m not used to, having lived in the city all these while in Melbourne. I just couldn’t get used to the quietness. I still managed to maintain a close bond with friends in Melbourne though. The 2 months I spent in Melbourne for work, was probably the happiest times I had in the year. I was happy I got to watch my very first musical in Melbourne. Also some friends were eager enough to come to Sydney for their winter holidays, which cheered me up a little. The friends I made in Sydney were quite different people from OCFers in general, in terms of their interests and level of maturity. We had a few road trips and outings which were really nice and where I got to know some really interesting people. I also appreciate that I could come back this end of year where I can catch up with uni mates and schoolmates whom I only see once a year. Right in October I was so distraught and had booked a ticket for Chinese New Year thinking I will not get a new job. But the acquisition of a new job allowed me to have a one month break in December, which is not easy to come by. Highlight of this break would be the great road trip to Ipoh and Penang and Dot’s wedding where I got to catch up with the OCFers.
Apart from that I guess people will remember 2008 for the economic downturn. Earning my own moolah this year has been a liberating feeling. Have to start educating myself on how to plan my financial freedom. Haha.. It’s not easy to appreciate how tough money comes by when you don’t start earning it yourself. Now I can appreciate how so many people consider an SLR camera a luxury when I considered it a necessity (when I wasn’t earning my own money.)
So what are my hopes for 2009? I’m coming back to a familiar place and a job at a well respected company in my industry, so half my hopes for 2009 has been fulfilled I guess! But then I do hope I could gain much more technical experience in my new job and develop better people skills. Also, I wanna travel!! Hopefully all free travel on company expense!! hahhahah ..
2008 will be remembered as a year with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, but at least it was interesting. Indeed I have few regrets for the year past, and I hope 2009 will be just as exciting, if not more. Auld Lang Syne 2008, Happy 2009 everyone.